Teramachi means "temple district".
Chitose-karasuyama is an area studded with more than 20 temples in a leafy part of Setagaya ward.Rare in central Tokyo, there are also historical and traditional graveyards within easy access.Take a stroll around Karasuyama Teramachi, while enjoying the scenery in each season.
■Get maps of Teramachi.
■Get a free ride to temples.
■Watch videos of temple tours.
※All are available free of charge at Okubo Sekizai.
Please contact Okubo Sekizai for further information.
Why is Karasuyama Teramachi popular?
■It has good access.
■The cemeteries are on flat land.
■The celeteries are well maintained.
■It is in a good natural environment.
Click on each temple to go to the information about it.
【If you want to see larger map, Click here.】
The temple moved to Karasuyama in 1927 after the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923. It retains a grave of the Mizuno family, the lord of the Yamagata domain. There are graves of Fujii Umon, an advocate of the restoration of the Imperial rule, three Japanese-style painters: Hayami gyoshu, Imamura Shiko, Komura Settai, and Kawanobe Iccho, a lacquer artist.
Myoko-ji URL http://www.myokozi.com
The temple was originally located in Nishi-shinjuku. After it was burnt in the Second World War, the graveyard was moved to Karasuyama in 1949 and the main building in 1954. There is a three-meter-high “grave of 568 unknown people”, which enshrines those who died of in the Tenmei Famine.
The temple was originally located in Kaga and called Rinsho Temple. After moving to Setsu, Fushimi, Suruga then Edo, it changed its name to Joman Temple. It moved to Karasuyama in 1924. In the Edo period the themple had many patrons among vassals of the shogun.
It was built in Hiramatsu-cho, Nihonbashi in 1648. After being moved to Matsuyama-cho, Asakusa, it was burnt down in the Great Kanto Earthquake. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927.
The buildings were all burnt in the Great Kanto Earthquake except for the principal image and the necrology. It moved to Karasuyama from Tsukiji in 1924. There are the remains of a foundation stone of Kikuta Ishu, a Japanese-style painter.
Joei-ji URL http://joueiji.net
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Tsukiji in 1932. They have metal tubs made by Fujiwara Shoji, a master of foundry in the Edo period, which were chosen to be cultural assets.
The temple was originally built as a prayer hall for the Tokugawa family. It moved to Hamamatsu, Suruga, Yushima then Asakusa. It was damaged in the Great Kanto Earthquake. Its relocation to Karasuyama began in 1927 and was completed in 1940.
The temple was built at Sakurada-mon in the early Edo period. It moved to Azabu in the Meiji period, then to Karasuyama in 1927 after the 1923 earthquake. Teachings written by the chief priest are on display at the gate, and they are changed from time to time. Please have a look.
Zonmyo-ji URL http://www.zonmyoji.jp
The temple was built in Yushima in 1596, then moved to Asakusa. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927 after the 1923 earthquake.
The temple was re-built in Shibuya in 1625 with the statue of Amidabutsu which was dug out from the ground. It moved to Karasuyama due to the construction of the Ginza Line in 1937 and the re-zoning plan in 1949. They have a unique main building which was built in the Indian style.
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Nippori after the 1923 earthquake.
Nichiyoshi, a holy priest who taught the game of go to Tokugawa Ieyasu, built the temple in Kanda. Daikoku, a stone statue as the temple’s treasure, was given to the temple by Oman, one of Ieyasu’s concubines. The temple moved to Yanaka, Honjo, then to Karasuyama in 1928 after the 1923 earthquake. There is a grave of Sanyutei Ensho, a comic storyteller who was designated as a living national treasure.
The temple used to retain a grave of the Kuroda family, who were clansmen in Fukuoka. It moved from Azabu to Karasuyama in 1924.
The temple was originally built around Yokoyama-cho, Chuo-ku in the early Edo period, then moved to Tsukiji due to the large fire in the Meireki period. It moved to Karasuyma after the 1923 earthquake.
The temple was built in Hamacho in the early Edo period, then moved to Tsukiji during the Meireki period. It moved to Karasuyama after the 1923 earthquake.
Sugawara Shoen, a vassal of the Hojo family, was converted to Buddhism, became a pupil of Shinran and built a thatched cottage in Ise. It is said to have been the origin of the temple. It moved to Tsukiji where the priests were engaged in missionary work. So they have many believers among fish market workers. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927.
The temple was originally built in Yanaka. It moved to Honjo-sarue, then to Karasuyama in 1924 after the 1923 earthquake. There is a temple bell made by Fujiwara Shoji, a master of foundry, which was partly burnt in the 1923 earthquake. The guest room was relocated from the former house of the Prince Nabeshima. Shoryubyo, a hall to worship for future generations was newly built in 2000.
The temple was originally built in Shinagawa, and moved to Bakurai-cho, then Asakusa. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927 after the 1923 earthquake. The main building and the monks’ living quarters were burnt due to the air raid in 1945. The main building was re-built in 1958. There is a grave of Kitagawa Utamaro, an ukiyo-e artist.
Jojun, a vassal of the Hori family in Echigo became a priest and built the temple in Kanda. It moved to Asakusa. The buildings were damaged by the 1923 earthquake, but its principle image Amidabutu statue and the necrology were saved from the fire.
Arima Yorimoto, the fourth lord of the Kurume domain, was converted to Buddhism and built the temple in Shinagawa. Ikei, the first priest of the temple, mastered the tea ceremony. The Ikei division of the Ishikawa school still exists. The temple moved to Karasuyama in 1926. Its pond, Benten-ike, is known as a spot where wild ducks come and stay. In the center of the pond, there is a little shrine, Ukigodo, which enshrines Hosho Benzaiten.
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Asakusa in 1925 due to the 1923 earthquake. It used to be a temple for trainee monks. It enshrines Hifuse-kanzeon-bosatsu, which was believed to protect the Edo towns from further damage from the fires.
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Yanaka-imosaka in 1928.
Nichien, a priest brought up by Kato Kiyomasa, built the temple in Shiba-shirogane. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927. There is a grave of the Togawa family in the Niwase domain and a statue of Kishibozin, the goddess of childbirth and children.
The temple was built in Asakusa in 1511, then moved to Karasuyama in 1928 due to the 1923 earthquake. In the precincts there are porcelain racoon dogs in all sizes, which symbolize wealth and happiness.
Jofuku-ji URL http://www.joufukuji.com
Shusei, born into a samurai family, became a priest and built the temple in Sakurada-mon. It moved to Torano-mon, Mita then to Karasuyama in 1939. There is a grave of Kokugakuin Kugayama School. There is also a unique temple gate with Tsukiji-style fences.
Sairen-ji BLOG http://sairen99.cocolog-nifty.com/kotoba/
Temples which were severely damaged in the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 located their new precincts in suburban areas. Wakaba-cho in Chofu has six temples of the Honganji school which moved from Tsukiji. Now the area is called Sengawa Teramachi. On the north side of Sengawa station, there is also a temple called Sho-oh Temple of Tendai school, which was built there in 1600. Around the area, there are several schools such as Metropolitan Jindai High School, Toho Gakuen and Shirayuri College in a good environment. Temples are located within a five-minute walk on flat land, so you can get there easily.
The temple was built in Sengawa during the Keicho era (1596-1615). The principal image, Amidabutsu, and the other statues like Kannon-bosatsu, Fudoson, Emma, and Kotobuki-rojin are enshrined in the main building.
The first priest came from Matsumoto, Shinshu to Edo and built the temple in Kanda-sakumacho in 1622. After moving to Tsukiji, it relocated to Sengawa in 1927 due to the 1923 earthquake. There is Muryojubyo, a joint graveyard for perpetuity in the precincts.
Myosai-ji URL http://www.myousaiji.or.jp
The temple was founded by Ryogen in Yokoyama-cho, Asakusa, in the Kanei era. After moving to Tsukiji, it relocated to Sengawa in 1928.
It was originally built in Azabu in the Warring States period. After moving to Tsukiji, it relocated to Sengawa in 1931 due to the 1923 earthquake.